Why no pop filter at general conference?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
sonalita
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:58 am

Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by sonalita »

The microphones used in the conference centre seem very sensitive to lip smacking and saliva noises, which is extremely distracting from the speaker's message. I think a pop filter as used in recording studios and radio broadcasting would help.

There are some talks I just can't bear to listen to because of the excessive lip smacking and saliva noises
Aczlan
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY, USA

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by Aczlan »

They are used pretty much exclusively in studios and rarely (if ever) in live meetings/performances, so I would be surprised to see one in General Conference.
As for the mic being particularly sensitive, that is most likely a very high end microphone and the sound guys are doing the best they can do with the room and the speakers (ie: the people speaking).
Part of it is probably due to the fact that a quiet speaker requires more amplification which makes pops and other sounds more noticeable, but you cant exactly tap someone on the shoulder in General Conference and say "speak up please" during their talk.


Aaron Z
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 36825
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by russellhltn »

sonalita wrote:There are some talks I just can't bear to listen to because of the excessive lip smacking and saliva noises
I know of pop (breath blasts into the microphone) and sibilance (overly sharp s sound), but I don't know if those will work on that sound. Editing in post should be effective, if time consuming.

I'd suggest noting the names of recent speakers and using Feedback on the main site to complain about it. Hopefully a note can be passed along to work with that individual on their habit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wonkabahr
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2026 12:56 pm

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by Wonkabahr »

The smacking and saliva noises during most speakers talks absolutely drives me crazy. This really does distract from the message for me. I wish there was something they could do about it. A pop filter or something. Anything.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon, USA

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by rmrichesjr »

Wonkabahr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2026 12:59 pm The smacking and saliva noises during most speakers talks absolutely drives me crazy. This really does distract from the message for me. I wish there was something they could do about it. A pop filter or something. Anything.
Please see the post immediately before yours. Please report specific speaker names.
DerekThomas
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2026 8:55 am

Re: Why no pop filter at general conference?

Post by DerekThomas »

This also drives me nuts. It's been a problem for years.

In our most recent General Conference since someone above asked for specific people, Elder Vaiangina Sikahema of the Seventy in his talk "Prophets, seers and revelators" smacked his lips loudly and obnoxiously three times within the first 9 seconds of his talk.

I'm sure it's a lovely talk but I can't listen to it. It drives me nuts. It's a gross thing. I have misophonia.

Three loud smacks in 9 seconds. Come on.

Lip balm.
A glass of water.
Better audio equipment.

There's tons of solutions.
Last edited by DerekThomas on Sat Oct 10, 2026 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”